Sunday, June 20, 2010

Siberia

On to Novosibirsk, which can be translated as [Novo]=New + [Sibirsk]=place where it can get cold enough to freeze your wrists off. Novosibirsk is another Siberian CIty claiming to be the Chicago of Siberia. Evidently, there's been competition between Novosibirsk and Omsk for that title, as well as competition for status as the capital of Siberia for some time. Novo grew larger, and has a population of over a million, and is the third largest city in Russia, after Moscow & St. Petersburg. So I guess they won. For whatever that's worth.

This leg is 320nm, and I cruised mostly at 5,000ft, so if there was anything to see, I could see it. There wasn't. On the plus side, now being hip to the grass runway thing, I was able to get the controller to allow an approach into Novo in their Frikkity Grass Runway, but sidestep to the regular runway and land there. Still don't have any idea what causes FS to think that landing any aircraft other than an ultralight or glider on grass is better than concrete.

Warming up in Omsk


Taking off to the west, Frikkity Grass Runway visible to the left.


Over Downtown Omsk


Heavy Weather, Man- thunderstorms en route.


Making a Withdrawl from the Cloud Bank

Miles and Miles of... [sigh]


On approach into Novosibirsk


The Actual Downtown Novosibirsk

No comments: